WORKING HOLIDAY (VOLUNTEER LANGUAGE TEACHER) TOUR
APRIL & MAY 2018 APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
Do you have a knack for teaching and wish to share your passion, effecting positive change and development in a meaningful way? The 2018 all-inclusive Working-Holiday programme offers a unique chance to live, work, and travel in North Korea for two weeks, teaching your native language whilst also taking time out to explore what the country has to offer!
SUNDAY 22 APRIL 2018 – SUNDAY 6 MAY 2018 (14 NIGHTS in the DPRK)
Teaching one or two classes (total 50-60 students) at the Pyongyang College of Tourism or *Kim Chol Ju University of Education
*Only for English language teachers
Please note that the teaching will concentrate on advanced levels only (B2 level and above).
ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHER
Sunday 22nd April 2018 – Sunday 6th May 2018
MANDARIN CHINESE LANGUAGE TEACHER
Sunday 22nd April 2018 – Sunday 6th May 2018
Prices in Euro (€) per person
Monday – Friday
Each morning you will teach two lectures (one hour each). The first lecture will be with second year students of the Tourism Management faculty. In total there are 48 students of English and 22 students of Chinese. In the second lecture you will teach third year students of the Tourism Management faculty. In total there are 37 students of English and 19 of Chinese.
In the downtime there will be an opportunity to explore Pyongyang and the surrounding areas with a varied tourism itinerary (see attached PDF).
After the first week you will travel to the stunning Myohyang mountains, staying overnight and exploring local Buddhist temples and the International Friendship Exhibition. At the end of the second week there will be a chance to venture southwards to the historic city of Kaesong, village of Panmunjeom (where the armistice was signed) and the DMZ.
What to Expect?
Truusje joined our 2015 Volunteer Programme as an English language teacher, based at the Pyongyang Tourism College.
Speaking on her experience, Truusje said:
“The programme was an incredibly interesting experience. I got to teach some lovely students. They were so keen and teaching them was a lot of fun. I was sad to say goodbye to them. It’s an experience I’ll never forget.”
Tamara joined our 2015 Volunteer Programme and taught Tourism Marketing at the Pyongyang Tourism College.
Speaking on her experience, Tamara said:
“Teaching Tourism Marketing at Pyongyang Tourism College was an unexpectedly rewarding experience. My students (teachers of the College) were bright, very motivated to learn and willing to actively discuss our topics in class, so it was a real pleasure teaching them. Before the course I wasn’t sure what to expect but I had an almost complete freedom in designing my classes, so I could share the latest academic knowledge combined with lots of practical examples. Altogether I felt that my classes could effectively contribute to tourism development in the DPRK and it’s a great feeling.”
The Pyongyang Tourism College 평양관광대학 was originally known as the “Tour Guide & Interpreter School”, founded on 5th February 1987, but later changed its name in both 2002 and 2014.
Students study on a 4.5 year course within one of three faculties: Tour Guide Faculty, Tourism Management Faculty, and the Online Study Faculty. Within these faculties there are five main courses: Language (English, Chinese, Russian), Tourism Management, Tourism Development, Tourism Information, and Tourism Advertisement. Subjects covered vary and range from World Tourism History, Economy, and Ecology to Tourism Psychology and Hotel Service Operations.
The school boasts 120 professors and researchers and 700 students (both full and part time). The current president is Mr. Kim Yong Gyom.
Who should apply?
– Open minded, enthusiastic and engaging educators with a sense of adventure!
– Native language speakers preferred*
– Proven language teaching experience and qualification (with references)
*Mandarin Chinese Teachers must be native speakers
Only completed applications will be guaranteed a position.
Please note these tours are limited to 9 teachers maximum.
How to Apply
Sound interesting? For more information or to submit an application please send us the following documents with the subject “April/May Working Holiday Volunteer LANGUAGE + NAME” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation Letter
- Completed April & May Working Holiday Volunteer Application form (found here)
Tour price includes:
- 14 night accommodation; 13 nights at a local 3* hotel, 1 night at the Chongchun Hotel
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner every day (with one drink);
- Return international transportation Beijing – Pyongyang – Beijing as listed;
- All entry fees to the places of interest to be visited;
- All transportation inside the DPRK, in an air-conditioned coach with driver;
- The use of two English speaking KITC guides.
Tour Price does not include:
- The DPRK tourist visa fee, which is EUR 50 if collected in Beijing at the pre-tour meeting;
- Any expenses incurred outside of the DPRK e.g. Double entry Chinese visa fee, international transportation to and from Beijing, accommodation in Beijing etc.
- Beverages, incidental expenses (souvenirs, funfair rides, trip up to the top of the Juche Tower, swimming at the university pool etc.),
- Optional extra-curricular activities such as Munsu Waterpark, Ten-pin Bowling, Fishing, Ice Skating etc.
- Optional visits e.g. beer bar/pizza restaurant
- A flower offering at Memorial sites like Mansudae Grand Monument (EUR 5) ;
- Travel and medical insurance (required);
- Gratuities for your guides, and driver (we would recommend a figure of around EUR 10 per customer, per day).
Optional Travel Extras:
Whilst the train offers scenic views you may find it more convenient to upgrade to single or return flights – just let us know on your application form!
– Air Koryo flights (+EUR 150 single or +230 return)
– Air Koryo business class flights (+EUR 310 single or +475 return)
– Soft sleeper class intl. train upgrade between Beijing and Pyongyang (+EUR 110 single or +210 return)
***note soft sleeper is only available on trains departing on Mondays or Thursdays ONLY.