WORKING HOLIDAY (VOLUNTEER LANGUAGE TEACHER) TOUR
JULY & AUGUST 2018 APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
Do you have a knack for teaching and wish to share your passion, effecting positive change and development in a meaningful way? The 2018 all-inclusive Working-Holiday programme offers a unique chance to live, work, and travel in North Korea for three weeks, teaching your national language at the Pyongyang University of Foreign Studies whilst also exploring what the country has to offer!
SUNDAY 15 JULY 2018 – SATURDAY 4 AUGUST 2018 (20 NIGHTS in the DPRK)
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE DETAILED DAILY ITINERARY
The Pyongyang University of Foreign Studies is searching for native speakers of the following languages:
*Please note that the teaching will concentrate on advanced levels only (B2 level and above).
German: 5 teachers (for 70-80 students)
Spanish: 2 teachers (for 30-40 students)
Arabic (Standard): 2 teachers (for 30-40 students)
Portuguese: 2 teachers (for 20 students)
Cambodian: 1 teacher (5 students)
Lao: 1 teacher (5 students)
Thai: 1 teacher (5 students)
Persian: 1 teacher (5 students)
Hindi: 1 teacher (5 students)
Bulgarian: 1 teacher (5 students)
Hungarian: 1 teacher (5 students)
Czech: 1 teacher (5 students)
Monday – Friday
In the mornings you will plan your lessons ahead of class. After lunch you will teach two or three lectures (one hour each) of advanced level language.
In the downtime there will be an opportunity to explore Pyongyang and the surrounding areas with a varied tourism itinerary.
At the weekend we offer two overnight excursions; at the end of week one you will visit the historic city of Kaesong near the DMZ whilst after week two you can explore the stunning Myohyang mountains, home to the International Friendship Exhibition.
What to Expect?
Truusje joined our 2015 Volunteer Programme as an English language teacher, based at the Pyongyang Tourism College.
Speaking on her experience, Truusje said:
“The programme was an incredibly interesting experience. I got to teach some lovely students. They were so keen and teaching them was a lot of fun. I was sad to say goodbye to them. It’s an experience I’ll never forget.”
Tamara joined our 2015 Volunteer Programme and taught Tourism Marketing at the Pyongyang Tourism College.
Speaking on her experience, Tamara said:
“Teaching Tourism Marketing at Pyongyang Tourism College was an unexpectedly rewarding experience. My students (teachers of the College) were bright, very motivated to learn and willing to actively discuss our topics in class, so it was a real pleasure teaching them. Before the course I wasn’t sure what to expect but I had an almost complete freedom in designing my classes, so I could share the latest academic knowledge combined with lots of practical examples. Altogether I felt that my classes could effectively contribute to tourism development in the DPRK and it’s a great feeling.”.
Who should apply?
– Open minded, enthusiastic and engaging educators with a sense of adventure!
– Native language speakers
– Proven language teaching experience (with references)
CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE DETAILED DAILY ITINERARY
Only completed applications will be guaranteed a position
How to Apply
Sound interesting? For more information or to submit an application please send us the following documents with the subject “July & August Working Holiday Volunteer LANGUAGE + NAME” to email@example.com
- Curriculum Vitae
- Completed Working Holiday Volunteer Application form (found here)
- Colour scan of your passport photo ID page
- Separate colour passport-sized photograph
Tour price includes:
- 20 night accommodation; 18 nights at a local 3* hotel, 1 night at the Chongchun Hotel and 1 night at the Kaesong Folk Hotel.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner every day (with one drink);
- Return international transportation Beijing – Pyongyang – Beijing as listed;
- All entry fees to the places of interest to be visited;
- All transportation inside the DPRK, in an air-conditioned coach with driver;
- The use of two English speaking KITC guides.
Tour Price does not include:
- The DPRK tourist visa fee, which is EUR 50 if collected in Beijing at the pre-tour meeting;
- Any expenses incurred outside of the DPRK e.g. Double entry Chinese visa fee, international transportation to and from Beijing, accommodation in Beijing etc.
- Beverages, incidental expenses (souvenirs, funfair rides, trip up to the top of the Juche Tower, swimming at the university pool etc.),
- Optional extra-curricular activities such as Munsu Waterpark, Ten-pin Bowling, Fishing, Ice Skating etc.
- Optional visits e.g. beer bar/pizza restaurant
- A flower offering at Memorial sites like Mansudae Grand Monument (EUR 5) ;
- Travel and medical insurance (required);
- Gratuities for your guides, and driver (we would recommend a figure of around EUR 10 per customer, per day).
Optional Travel Extras:
Whilst the train offers scenic views you may find it more convenient to upgrade to single or return flights – just let us know on your application form!
– Air Koryo flights (+EUR 150 single or +230 return)
– Air Koryo business class flights (+EUR 310 single or +475 return)
– Soft sleeper class intl. train upgrade between Beijing and Pyongyang (+EUR 110 single or +210 return)
***note soft sleeper is only available on trains departing on Mondays or Thursdays ONLY.